Sunday, July 25, 2010

Nathan Hutchinson
English 102
Citing Sources
Laura Darrow



Madonne, Miner. ""Trust Me"Reading the romance plot of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaids Tale." JSTOR 37.2 1991. 148-168. JSTOR. Web. 25 Jul 2010.

I decided to use JSTOR as a reference site. I was looking for a deeper source of material. I found the Handmaids Tale to be a complex story and needed some quality in site. The first title I came to was “Trust Me” and it had to do with uncovering a romance plot between Offred and the Commander. I have to admit I found it to be very interesting the way they broke down the scrabble game. I don’t naturally think like this and come never have come to these conclusions on my own. I will use this resource to better understand some of the symbolism in the story. I guess I can take nothing for granted in a story like this. This series of events will help me explain the simple freedoms that have used as a manipulation tool. These freedoms identify us a humans.

Moreno, Claudia, Henrica Jansen, Mary Ellsberg, Lori Heise, and Charlotte Watts. United Nations. Multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence against women. Geneva: WHO press, 2005. Print.
This next web site I will be using shows how common sexual abuse is in the world today. These are not only situations we find in books or part of history, but a widespread problem right now. I honestly don’t things have changes as much as we think. The have just become an excepted part of life. The Handmaids Tale gives us an option to explore these ideas outside the story. To Quote Sam Hamill, “ we can’t handle much reality”. It think this pretty much sums it up. Unless you are involved you just don’t know. To some extent the societies we live in are not as different as we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment