Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nathan Hutchinson
Eng 102
6-8-2010

I believe that Nabokov is asking of a reader to be open minded and to really have a thirst for reading. Only the true aficionado’s possess the ability to truly understand what is being said. He is asking when approaching a read to enter it with a blank slate. To approach it as a learning process.
To some degree I agree with what is being said. I think that at times it is hard to not form some sort of opinion, especially with Authors that you have read many times before.
I believe a good reader is someone who is willing to give the time needed to let the author get the point across. Someone who can be patient and understanding. I think a good reader will become a character in the book.
I am a terrible reader. I have a hard time paying attention and get lost quite a bit. I can get frustrated easily with this a will get discouraged and just choose not to do it. Of course I don’t practice very much either. Reading is a skill thats gets better with practice. I have never invested the time. I must admit though, the books I have read I have truly enjoyed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Nabokov

No comments:

Post a Comment